2 Section 65 & 65 A substituted for section 65 ((w.e.f. 14.05.2003) by s. 159 of the Finance Act, 2003 (32 of 2003)
6 section 65 not applicable w.e.f.1-7-2012 vide Notification No.20/2012-ST, dated 5-6-2012 .
(106) "technical testing and analysis" means any service in relation to physical, chemical, biological or any other scientific testing or analysis of goods or material or 2[information technology software or ] any immovable property, but does not include any testing or analysis service provided in relation to human beings or animals;
2 Inserted (w.e.f. 16.05.2008) by s.90 of the Finance Act, 2008 (21 of 2008).
3[Explanation. -For the removal of doubts, it is hereby declared that for the purposes of this clause, "technical testing and analysis" includes testing and analysis undertaken for the purpose of clinical testing of drugs and formulations; but does not include testing or analysis for the purpose of determination of the nature of diseased condition, identification of a disease, prevention of any disease or disorder in human beings or animals;]
3 Inserted (w.e.f. 01.05.2006) by s. 68 of the Finance Act, 2006 (21 of 2006).
(107) "technical testing and analysis agency" means any agency or person engaged in providing service in relation to technical testing and analysis;
(108) "technical inspection and certification" means inspection or examination of goods or 4[process or material or information technology software] any immovable property to certify that such goods or 5[process or material or information technology software] or immovable property qualifies or maintains the specified standards, including functionality or utility or quality or safety or any other characteristic or parameters, but does not include any service in relation to inspection and certification of pollution levels;
(109) "technical inspection and certification agency" means any agency or person engaged in providing service in relation to technical inspection and certification;
4 Substituted (w.e.f. 16.05.2008) by s. 90 of the Finance Act, 2008 (18 of 2008).
6[(109a) "telecommunication service" means service of any description provided by means of any transmission, emission or reception of signs, signals, writing, images and sounds or intelligence or information of any nature, by wire, radio, optical, visual or other electro-magnetic means or systems, including the related transfer or assignment of the right to use capacity for such transmission, emission or reception by a person who has been granted a licence under the first proviso to sub-section (1) of section 4 of the Indian Telegraph Act, 1885 and includes -
6 Inserted (w.e.f. 01.06.2007) by s. 135 of the Finance Act, 2007 (22 of 2007).
1 Substituted (w.e.f. 16.05.2008) by s. 90 of the Finance Act, 2008 (18 of 2008).
(110) "telegraph" has the meaning assigned to it in clause (1) of section 3 of the Indian Telegraph Act, 1885 (13 of 1885);
(111) "telegraph authority" has the meaning assigned to ti in clause (6) of section 3 of the Indian Telegraph Act, 1885 (13 of 1885) and includes a person who has been granted a licence under the first proviso to sub-section (1) of section 4 of that Act;
(112) "telex" means a typed communication by using teleprinters through telex exchanges;
(113) "tour" means a journey from one place to another irrespective of the distance between such places;
(114) "tourist vehicle" has the meaning assigned to it in clause (43) of section 2 of the Motor Vehicles Act 1988 (59 of 1988);
2[(115) for accommodation, sightseeing or other similar services) by any mode of transport, and includes any person engaged in the business of operating tours in a tourist vehicle or a contract carriage by whatever name called, covered by a permit, other than a stage carriage permit, granted under the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 or the rules made thereunder.
2 Substituted (w.e.f. 16.05.2008) by s. 90 of the Finance Act, 2008 (18 of 2008).
Explanation. - For the purposes of this clause, the expression "tour" does not include a journey organised or arranged for use by an educational body, other than a commercial training or coaching centre, imparting skill or knowledge or lessons on any subject or field;]
3[(115a) ""travel agent" means any person engaged in providing any service connected with booking of passage for travel, but does not include air travel agent and rail travel agent;]
3 Substituted (w.e.f. 10.09.2004) by s. 90 of the Finance (No. 2) Act, 2004 (23 of 2004).
(116) "underwriter" has the meaning assigned to it in clause (f) of rule 2 of the Securities and Exchange Board of India (Underwriters) Rules, 1993;
(118) "vessel" has the meaning assigned to it in clause (z) of section 2 of the Major Port Trust Act, 1963 (38 of 1963);
(119) "video production agency" means any professional videographer or any person engaged in the business of rendering services relating to video-tape production;
1[(120) "video-tape production" means the process of any recording of any programme, event or function on a magnetic tape or on any other media or device and includes services relating thereto such as editing, cutting, colouring, dubbing, title printing, imparting special effects, processing, adding, modifying or deleting sound, transferring from one media or device to another, or undertaking any video post-production activity, in any manner;]
1 Substituted (w.e.f. 16.06.2005) by s. 88 of the Finance Act, 2005 (18 of 2005).
(121) words and expressions used but not defined in this Chapter and defined in the Central Excise Act, 1944 (1 of 1944) or the rules made there under, shall apply, so far as may be, in relation to service tax as they apply in relation to a duty of excise.
2[Explanation. -For the purposes of this section, taxable service includes any taxable service provided or to be provided by any unincorporated association or body of persons to a member thereof, for cash, deferred payment or any other valuable consideration.]
2 Inserted (w.e.f. 01.05.2006) by s. 68 of the Finance Act, 2006 (21 of 2006).
3Provided that the provisions of this section shall not apply with effect from such date as the Central Government may, by notification, appoint 6.
3 inserted (w.e.f 1.6.2012) by s.143 of the Finance Act.. 2012 ( 23 of 2012)
6 Section 65 is not applicable w.e.f 1-7-2012 vide Notification No 20/2012-ST , dated 5-6-2012
Due care has been in compiling this page. But, this site does not make any claim that the information available on its pages is correct and up-to-date. The contents of this site cannot be treated or interpreted as a statement of law. In case, any loss or damage is caused to any person due to his/her treating or interpreting the contents of this site or any part thereof as correct, complete and up-to-date statement of law out of ignorance or otherwise, this site will not be liable in any manner whatsoever for such loss or damage.
|Income Tax Slabs AY 2016-17||Income Tax Calculator AY 2016-17|
|Advance Tax Calculator||Indexed Cost & LTCG Calculator|
|Intt. u/s 234 Calculator||ITR Form no. & Mode of Filing|
|TDS Rates AY 2017-18||TDS Calculator AY 2017-18|
|Allowable Deductions||Incomes Exempt from tax|
|Maximize Tax Savings||Challan 280 in Excel|
|TDS Form 16 in Excel||PPF Calculators|
|Sukanya Samriddhi Calculator||Fillable forms in Excel/Word/PDF|
|Small Savings Calculator||View 26 AS|
|Fillable PAN TAN forms||Fillable VAT forms|
|Fillable Post Office forms||Fillable RTO forms|
|Ramayana Prashnavali||Taxability of Allowances|