Compare and Merge Workbooks
Compare workbooks side by side
Open the workbooks you want to compare side by side.
On the Window menu, click Compare Side by Side with.
On the Compare Side by Side toolbar (toolbar: A bar with buttons and options that you use to carry out commands. To display a toolbar, click Customize on the Tools menu, and then click the Toolbars tab.), do any of the following:
- If you want to scroll through the workbooks at the same time, click Synchronous Scrolling.
- If you want to reset the workbook windows to the positions they were in when you first started comparing workbooks, click Reset Window Position.
- Click Close Side by Side to stop comparing workbooks.
NoteIf you open two workbooks, the command on the Window menu will include the filename of one of those workbooks. For example, you open "workbook1.xls" and "workbook2.xls". While viewing "workbook1.xls", the Window menu shows the command as Compare Side by Side with workbook2.xls.
- Make sure the copies of the shared workbook (shared workbook: A workbook set up to allow multiple users on a network to view and make changes at the same time. Each user who saves the workbook sees the changes made by other users.) that you want to merge are all stored in the same folder. To do this, you must give each copy a different name.
- Open the copy into which you want to merge changes.
- On the Tools menu, click Compare and Merge Workbooks.
- If prompted, save the workbook.
- In the Select Files to Merge into Current Workbook dialog box, click a copy that has changes to be merged, and then click OK.
- To merge more than one copy at the same time, hold down CTRL or SHIFT and click the file names, and then click OK.