Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana (Scheme) was notified by Ministry of Finance vide Notification No. G.S.R.863(E) Dated 02.12.2014. The scheme has become operational by notification of rules namely 'Sukanya Samriddhi Account Rules, 2014'. The accounts under this scheme can be opened at any post office in India doing savings bank work and authorised to open an account under the scheme or at any branch of a commercial bank authorised by the Central Government to open an account under the scheme.
a) in cash; or
b) by cheque or demand draft drawn in favour of the postmaster of the concerned post office or the Manager of the concerned bank where the account stands and an endorsement on the back of such instrument shall be made and signed by the depositor indicating name of the account holder and account number in which the deposit is to be credited.
Where deposit is made by cheque or demand draft, the date of encashment of the cheque or demand draft shall be the date of credit to the account.
|Financial Year||Rate of Interest|
|Up to 31.03.2015||9.1 % per annum|
|01.04.2015 to 31.03.2016||9.2 % per annum|
|01.04.2016 to 30.09.2016||8.6 % per annum|
|01.10.2016 to 31.03.2017||8.5 % per annum|
|01.04.2017 to 30.06.2017||8.4 % per annum|
|01.07.2017 to 31.12.2017||8.3 % per annum|
|01.01.2018 onwards||8.1 % per annum|
(2) In case of account holder opting for monthly interest, the same shall be calculated on the balance in the account on completed thousands, in the balance which shall be paid to the account holder and the remaining amount in fraction of thousand will continue to earn interest at the prevailing rate.
(2) On attaining age of ten years, the account holder that is the girl child may herself operate the account, however, deposit in the account may be made by the guardian or any other person or authority.
(2) Where the Central Government is satisfied that operation or continuation of the account is causing undue hardship to the account holder, it may, by order, for reasons to be recorded in writing, allow pre-mature closure of the account only in cases of extreme compassionate grounds such as medical support in life-threatening diseases, death, etc.
(2) The pass book shall be presented to the post office or bank, as the case may be, at the time of depositing money in the account and receiving payment of interest and also at the time of final closure of the account on maturity.
(2) The withdrawal referred to in sub-rule (1) shall be allowed only when the account holder girl child attains the age of eighteen years.
The government has changed the withdrawal and maturity norms in the girl child savings scheme, Sukanya Samriddhi, through a notification dated March 18, 2016.
Now, partial withdrawal up to 50 per cent of the account balance will be allowed for the purpose of higher education of the account holder (the girl child), if she attains the age of eighteen years or has passed the tenth standard, whichever is earlier. Earlier, partial withdrawal was allowed only at 18 years for higher education.
Documentary proof in the form of offer of admission of the account holder in an educational institution or a fee-slip from such institution has to be submitted.
The partial withdrawal will be made as one lump sum or in instalments, not exceeding one per year, for a maximum of five years.
If the educational fee is less than 50 per cent of the account balance, the partial withdrawal amount will be restricted only to the fee amount.
Premature closure of the account will continue to be allowed for marriage of the account holder, provided she is not less than eighteen years on the date of marriage. According to the new norms, no such premature closure shall be allowed before one month of the date of the marriage or after three months from marriage.
Provided that where the marriage of the account holder takes place before completion of such period of twenty one years, the operation of the account shall not be permitted beyond the date of her marriage :
Provided further that where the account is closed under the first proviso, the account holder shall have to give an affidavit to the effect that she is not less than eighteen years of age as on the date of closing of account.
(2) On maturity, the balance including interest outstanding in the account shall be payable to the account holder on production of withdrawal slip along with the pass book.
(3) If the account is not closed in accordance with the provisions of sub-rule (1), interest shall be payable on the balance in the account till final closure of the account.
Finotax.com does not make any claim that the information provided on its pages is correct and up-to-date. The contents of this site cannot be treated or interpreted as a statement of law. In case, any loss or damage is caused to any person due to his/her treating or interpreting the contents of this site or any part thereof as correct, complete and up-to-date statement of law out of ignorance or otherwise, this site will not be liable in any manner whatsoever for such loss or damage.